Wednesday 19 December 2012

I like these...

...words I found..

Being in bed, having a shower, having breakfast in the kitchen, sitting in my study writing, walking in the garden, cooking and eating our common lunch at my office with my friends, going to the movies, taking my family to eat at a restaurant, going to bed again. There are a few more.
There are surprisingly few of these patterns of events in any one person’s way of life, perhaps no more than a dozen. Look at your own life and you will find the same. It is shocking at first, to see that there are so few patterns of events open to me.
Not that I want more of them. But when I see how very few of them there are, I begin to understand what huge effect these few patterns have on my life, on my capacity to live. If these few patterns are good for me, I can live well. If they are bad for me, I can’t.”
-Christopher Alexander




5 comments:

  1. I have four patterns:
    1. Working day pattern - driven a bit by events, but ideally I know what works best for me
    2. Holiday/Sunday pattern (breakfast, walk, dinner/drink, bed)
    3. Saturday pattern - varies a bit
    I think most of it is OK, apart perhaps from too much time in the pub, but changing patterns you like is hard, so unless you have too, why bother?

    Love, Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I said four and then gave three, but then realised two were pretty similar, so merged them as one!

      Delete
    2. The more I reflect on the words - the more I like the patterns concept. Have had lots of interesting e mails as well today

      Delete
  2. Not that anyone's interested, I haven't got many patterns ... but there are some that are pretty vital for me
    1. Waking up on my own and making time for at least 2 hours of pottering through "stuff" in jim jams (or my fleecie onesie!!) before I have to go out, so that I can at least start in a relaxed way...
    2. Ending in a pretty similar fashion...with the addition of the odd glass of wine!
    The bits in between are completely different every day, sometimes very hectic and often away from home, so it makes 1. and 2. even more important. But I feel lucky to have both, because without one there wouldn't be the other, whichever way you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being an OAP life should be to do just what I like but after some many years of having patterns I can't change but really I don't want too. I am happy the way I am enjoying my parameters and feeling safe within them. Should I be more adventurous yes of course but that is not me. I wake up enjoy my run and feel ready for the day.............watching your day at a time Jo and Sophie, and of course Brian, so full of admiration for two lovely people. x

    ReplyDelete